..because there must be more to life than buying stuff.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Why I Got Rid of Adsense


I had a Google ad on this blog for a couple weeks, but no more. Why? Well, my original thought was that even though I'm anticonsumerist, I'm not anti-commerce. And besides, I could use a little extra trickle of money for my time. It turned out that the ads popping up on my site were more funny than anything. I have an article about the foolishness of renting rims, for example. The Google ad that popped up was a link to a place where you can rent rims 24 hours a day. Nice. I should have left it up just for the irony.

And I would have, but I decided that it really goes against the philosophy of this blog to advertise for things I'm lambasting. Plus, nobody is going to actually click on those ads, anyway. At least, nobody who reads anticonsumerist websites.

So, goodbye, Adsense. I think you're a good idea for some, but I'm not going to sell any rims on my site. And readers, if you like what you see, please just link me into your sites and tell others. It's not all about the Benjamins, after all.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! I am always glad to see less ads! When I read a book, novel, essay or newsletter I don't expect to see ads. When I read a newspaper I do. There are far too many tabloid equivalents on the internet, imho

4:50 PM, March 09, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just disovered this site, and I agree completely. The need for dumb ads on internet pages may be at hand, but not for long with those like yourself at the helm of web pages. I dicovered this after reading The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian/Josh Swenson. I inspire all who are against the superficial dictatorship of an economy we are part of today to read that book, as well as the other two in the series. I've read the first, and the others, I'm sure, Are just as powerful. I may be labeled anonymous, but I am Canaan. No pseudonym (No offense Paul^^).

10:08 AM, February 27, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I am becoming more and more anticonsumerist, anticorporate and I am a student at the University as well. I think something needs to be organized here across all Universities, where we start making a stand. I wrote a blog recently about a protest I participated in against coke( acola). I invite you to read it.

http://onlineofficehours.wikilabs.info/whynot/?p=7

And I would love to engage in more converstation about this topic.

6:18 AM, May 15, 2007

 
Blogger Guy said...

Heya, loving you blog. Noticed you havent updated for a while. If you are interested I have started an anti-consumerist blog at www.sleepywhisper.com - I hope you like it.

if youd be interested in contributing, drop me a line

Guy

10:52 AM, January 06, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read a book about a kid whos did the same stuffyou do its fiction but its good. i didnt even no that anti consumerism still exsisted till i read the book and its got some good points now im interested your sites cool to oh the books called the gospel according to larry and the sequal is vote for larry

9:34 PM, March 18, 2008

 
Anonymous Eric said...

I agree with the philosophy, but it is hard to maintain a website without the monetary incentives.

7:20 AM, September 18, 2009

 
Anonymous Kate said...

I think that you can remain true to your principles as long as your content is the main purpose of your blog. i.e. you're not channelling traffic to make cash.

I'm a fan of commerce, but not consuming for the sake of consuming. Anyway, keep up the good work!

K

5:58 AM, May 27, 2010

 
Blogger a said...

I am, among other things, a strong anticonsumerism too.

http://ew3a0o.blogspot.com/

7:36 AM, December 01, 2011

 
Blogger a said...

Better without the need to copy-paste: ew3a0o.blogspot.com

7:39 AM, December 01, 2011

 

Post a Comment

<< Home